Tuesday, 22 September 2009

And incidentally,

in case you didn't see this (and I suspect you have, because it's probably been blogged to death), there was this remarkable item in The Guardian on the weekend.

Daniel Jones says he was humiliated and victimised for his beliefs following incident at store in Wales

I feel obliged to pass on this story to you for a number of reasons: Yes, I was one of those that entered 'Jedi' in the last census form, in protest, though normally, as you know, I think of myself more as a Pastafarian, and you will also likely know that we are always interested here in all things Star Wars, and that there are at least two actual Jedis in my house. (NOT Padawans, I've been told, definitely, on more than one occasion).

But what I really like about this piece, rather unsuspectedly, is Tesco's response.

Tesco said: "He hasn't been banned. Jedis are very welcome to shop in our stores although we would ask them to remove their hoods.
"Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and Luke Skywalker all appeared hoodless without ever going over to the Dark Side and we are only aware of the Emperor as one who never removed his hood.

"If Jedi walk around our stores with their hoods on, they'll miss lots of special offers."

Normally I would defend my Jedi bretheren to the hilt of my double-ended lightsabre, but commendations here to Tesco who, in addition to being technically right, also prove to have something more of a sense of humour than Mr. Hehol.

(Oh christ. I've just sided with the Empire. I truly am becoming the Dark Father. Get me fitted for my Evil scuba suit and cape. I've always wanted a cape.)

3 comments:

  1. Ha! That's a pretty sharp response. By the way, have you been to see Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs? It has literally got the FSM in it. Food deity win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. Who'da thunk it of Tesco, of all, erm, people. Probably some new intern in the Public Relations department answered a phone she shouldn't have. Probably not working for Tesco now. Alas.

    DEFINITELY want to see Cloudy with Meatballs now! Is it something that the boys might like? (remembering that my boys usually spend half of any film hiding under the seat...)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. UPDATE: Apparently, Daniel Jones is as humourless as his Jedi moniker suggests. Apparently, this is him in a very embarrassing YouTube video:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LHjL5EvfKs

    And APPARENTLY he lives in Bangor, and his brother was Callum's mum's hairdresser. That's not just hearsay; I got it off a friend of a guy on my hockey team (thanks Jude and mates).

    And yes, apparently he got beat up, a lot, for being a Jedi. Now even Tesco's shit on him.

    ReplyDelete