Tuesday, 7 October 2008

Yes, I laugh, too.

Excretera is feeling too mired in the shit lately, the bad kind, wading through the unremitting stench of American elections, the downfall of capitalism, etc. etc., AND now, to cap it all, I've finally been struck down by the Freshers' Flu. (What a dirty little bunch of snotty germ-bags first years are. Best avoided. Ew.)

So into this mucky-yucky haze of unreality I found myself Sunday night convalescing in front of the TV watching a repeat of a Graham Norton show (when else would you watch a Graham Norton show?), with special guests Harry Shearer -- yup, him off The Simpsons -- and Eddie Izzard. And you know, I forgot just how incredibly funny Eddie Izzard can be.

Proof, if it were needed, in the clip below, which I've played more than two dozen times from YouTube since Graham used it in his show. Apparently, you've all already seen it already -- 5 million of you have viewed this, though it might only be the same dozen or so over and over and over again (like the counter on this blog... it's just me logging in from different computers, really. I know it). But, for those of you who might have missed it, here it is.

It's a Lego dramatisation of an Eddie Izzard stand-up routine on Star Wars. I would love to add my own insightful commentary, on how it is a remarkable imposition of our mundane, bureaucratic reality into a world of fairy tale and omnipotent fantasy ('I can kill catering with a thought!'), but since that is Izzard's point already I'll shut up and just let him do it.




'Jeff Vader'. Oh! That reminds me. An update is called for on my 'Star-Wars-instead-of-Sunday-School' lessons for my boys. Watch this space...

No comments:

Post a Comment