Wednesday, 13 August 2008

Hold on a sec...


Ok. I'm no expert on all the mess that's going on in Georgia. (That's Georgia, in the Caucasus, not the state in America... I don't know if the rumours are true about Southern confusion, but Canadians have learned not to take anything for granted when it comes to the intelligence, or otherwise, of our southern neighbours.) However, I'm not liking a lot of what I hear.

Russia is hardly innocent. Certainly not a angelic defender of the rights and freedoms of the South Ossetians. I don't like superpowers, and I don't trust them. (Until, that is, Canada is a superpower, but I can hardly reveal that plan to you here, could I? By the way, any one remember the Canadian World Domination Home Page? Long gone, it seems, but happily remembered relic of the Early Web.)

But I also don't like the (mostly) narrow-minded, clich├ęd reporting of the conflict that I'm hearing, mostly from a Western media that, let's be honest, isn't world renowned for its Powers-That-Be busting, sceptical stance to the official truth.

In fact, it seems to me that the press have been suddenly awoken from a surreal Olympic dream to discover that, Oh! It's 1985. Or 1968, or 1956. Whatever. And yes, I can see Imperialistic aspiration at work in Russian actions. BUT, but but but... well. I'm no expert. But here are some links to stories I've read that offer a little balance, a slightly different perspective.

Mark Almond on Saturday: Plucky Little Georgia? No, the Cold War Reading Won't Wash
Jonathan Steele on Monday: This is No Pipeline War But An Assault on Russian Influence
Simon Jenkins on Wednesday: Bush Rebuking Russia? Putin Must Be Splitting His Sides

No comments:

Post a Comment